-->

Monday, August 23, 2010

Nashville

I've tried to describe it so many times
the apartments..but walk-ups..more like condos...each building 8 units 
knowing your neighbors was unavoidable
It was gated...open...walking...and you felt safe.

Dawne, Ray and McKenzie next door
Mr. Micah (who passed away this past year) across the way
Mary and the kids next door...then Beth and the kids
Oh gosh...Richard...the little Korean boy downstairs who became a part of us
and Hamony..his grandma...didn't speak English..then his teenage sister moved in
and so they all basically moved in with us

Jolan...one of the most loving dependable friends I have ever known
I watched little Hanga..learn English..become a beautiful little girl
I watched Jolan's belly grow ...Barnabash..Vojk..
And my other BF...like as sister..we became adults..Vanessa
and her little Andrew..(11 yrs old now)
walking in and out like family...I needed family...they are family

I've only mentioned a small percentage of the people we loved there

Our apartment walked out to the pool...we were at the center of it all
Little BBQs by the pool became big parties.
The kids at the tennis courts or the path...playing
It was hard to feel alone....
there was always a light on
there was always someone there in an emergency
when I got sick...when I had surgery...whenever...
there was always someone knocking on the door 
and always a door to knock on

I didn't have to be anything or do anything
They didn't have to be anything or do anything
My girlfriends...they'd sit next to me...right up close on the couch...and just "be"
They loved me through all my drinking
They loved me through all the drama with Andrew
They loved me through all my insecurities...

Oh...how can I even begin to describe or name the OTHER friends
their love...the welcome-ness...MY friends...
my sober friends

I wish I'd known what I had
I think I knew I has something
just not as much as I do now.

I still say it...I still can't believe it....a YEAR gone by and my heart is still broken
We keep in touch...email...text...facebook...not as often as I need

I can't...I just can't
Vanessa called today...I finally picked up the phone...
I haven't wanted to pick up the phone
Catching up sucks...I like picking up as if nothing's different...
we can do that...after a while..
so we talked...and it warmed my heart...it's what I NEEDED...

but I can't...I can't pick up the phone...
I cried so hard....I can't do that to myself...I can't relive the loss...I hate the loss
Because it feels like Nashville is gone...that part of our lives is gone.
I keep saying we are going back...I'm adamant that we are going back
But I don't really let myself believe it anymore
because they may not be back...Holly won't be back...the comfort may not be back
I want it back so badly...and if it doesn't happen...the RE-Loss...it'll kill me.

I MISS NASHVILLE!! I MISS my old friends..I NEED it so much right now

1 comment:

Jolan said...

Well, I'm almost a month late with commenting this post of yours, I keep coming back for reading bits of it over and over again, and I still don't really seem to know what to say... I just feel it. I'm proud of you! Keep your head above the stream, brush your thoughts only ca. twice a week ;), keep doing your art, because you're good at it (believe me, I've tried it too -- I just need to try everything that comes my way --, it IS amazing what you can do!), and believe in yourself! You have friends who are standing beside you, no matter what! Love, Jolan

Personal Mandalas