-->

Friday, July 30, 2010

Appreciation or Recognition

Buckle up cause it's probably not the appreciation you were thinking.

I've got this part of me out lately.
She's causing me all kinds of frustration.
You see...she's agonizing over appreciation
knowing it's something to grow out of.

To a co-worker:
Are you that unconscious?
are you seriously that unaware?
that I just gave you an hour of my life
that you just talked about yourself and only yourself
and then walked right by as you asked others to lunch.

To the girls in my class:
I was up til 4 AM...
turning  your meager nonsensical bullet points
into a mind-blowing multimedia presentation
and watched you put the class to sleep by reading each word
and I took my turn and spoke with passion..woke the class up
BUT...forget the thank you and tell me I left a line out of your slide
Seriously???

To my friend:
We share so much...I share my heart...I hear yours
then listen to you blow my advice
and then watch you "figure it out"
but you credit someone else

Where's my props???
Isn't anyone watching?
and it knocks me off my feet
and my stomach burns as I swallow the resentment
and digest the loathing..

Seriously..Teresa...SERIOUSLY?
What is wrong? Don't you see something wrong with this picture?

Wait...I have to say..writing all that out just now
laying out each story and bitching about it "publicly"
Sadly, it felt good. Cause I'm mad
mad at them for being so selfish
mad at life for being so frustrating
mad at myself for being so arrogant.

Who doesn't like to bitch every once in a while?

But here's the thing.

1. Isn't it amazing that even though I bitch
Even though I feel that they WERE self-absorbed...
I am still sitting here thinking about it
processing it and wondering what my part is in it
Isn't that wonderfully UNSELFISH of you, Teresa?
Cause it would be really easy to bad mouth those people
Highlight their shittiness...and be "right" about it.
But I'm consciously looking beyond instead.

2. Wow...now I know...it's NOT about "appreciation"
Appreciation is something inside the other person...
something that doesn't HAVE to be spoken to be present
I'm sure that they, in their own way, valued my actions
I'm sure the appreciation part was floating silently in their heart
even though they may not be aware of it..
The "pay-off" was there...and everyone values a pay-off...

Nope, by definition, I'm talking about RECOGNITION
Hearing out-loud that they appreciated what I did.
Showing to me that they WERE aware of it....

Ahhhh the fact that I actively SEEK recognition
THAT's the real thing I need to sort through.
I can place the onus on them...but the NEED
well..selfish or not...the NEED...That's MY stuff.

I'll figure it out...eventually...
it maybe temporary...
I may be craving recognition bc of other frustrations right now

but...look...the wonderful thing is that I am willing to look at my part
I'm mad...and that's ok..considering...
but really...my willingness is actually really UNSELFISH.
Way to go, me!...lol...

I'm gonna recognize myself right now...lol



No comments:

Personal Mandalas