-->

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Getting out the door is at least 80% of the battle

A valuable kick in the ass.
That's what I would call it.
I mean it starts out all nice and sweet, of course
but before I reached the crawl space behind the pity pot,
a place I loved to hang out,
Holly would send back that memorable text
"Ok, time to get over yourself"
Oh yeah...I heard that more than once
it was usually followed by the line
"remember, you gave me permission to say that..lol"
Yes, I did give permission...because I needed to hear it
I needed to hear it until I heard myself say it

But hear this...
because of all the amazing things I heard,
this next one is the one that implied the simplest of choices
was the hardest to do
but had the greatest consequence

She'd say, "get out the door, go for a walk"
In the depressive states...when I was paralyzed
when the couch seemed to be sucking me in,
loosening the straps, taking the weights off my feet
it felt like I had to climb Mt. Everest.

Actually, that wasn't the message at all,
all she suggested was that I walk out the door
around my house or the mail box and back

Try it...
the next time you are truly down
and think you just can't be seen
when there is no point,
you can't tolerate a movement
just walk out the door...pajamas and all
just a few steps..around the house...
not the block...just the house.

That's what I did this morning
I woke up...and forced myself to my feet
I ran as fast as I could to the laundry closet
before the first tear  rolled down my cheek
I grabbed the laundry, Luna and my last $10
and went to the Wash 'n Dry

and before I knew it,
my mushed up mind bulked up
the breeze washed over me like a waterfall
and honest to God,
muscles and bones hardened to hold me back up

Sorting, washing, folding
it always helps me to think

I can't lie
it wasn't like a magical peace took over
actually, it was more of a fight
a fire in me, relit

My friend Terri is this beautiful artist
her pieces can be peaceful or energetic or deep or inspiring
but sometimes she writes something
that's like this swift kick in the ass


I've been hearing this one all day
"Don't let them take away who you are"

I won't...I really won't


For more by Terri go to:
www.bonesigharts.com

2 comments:

terri st. cloud said...

smilin' at ya, girl.
GOOD FOR YOU for gettin' up and gettin' out the door...
think that's quiet magic workin' wonders you don't see yet.....

Merry ME said...

I hate it when people tell me to get moving, but I know it always works. Glad you took the walk, and how cool to have clean laundry too!

Personal Mandalas